BOD Job Descriptions
LAKES AREA HABITAT FOR HUMANITY MEMBER JOB DESCRIPTION
PURPOSE: To act as a voting member of the Board with full authority and responsibility to develop policies, procedures and regulations for the operation of the organization; to monitor the organization's financial health, programs and overall performance; and to provide the Chief Executive Officer with the resources to meet the needs of those the organization serves.
THE FULL BOARD RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish policies.
- Hire and evaluate the administrator.
- Secure adequate funding for the organization.
- Make a meaningful financial contribution.
- Monitor finances.
- Create and update a long-range plan for the organization.
- Select and support the organization's Board officers and periodically review their performances.
- Adopt key operating policies and procedures; approve contracts as appropriate.
INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBERS DUTIES:
- Attend all Board meetings and activities, including special events and Board retreats.
- Become knowledgeable about the organization.
- Come to Board meetings well-prepared and well-informed about issues on the agenda.
- Contribute to meetings by expressing your point of view.
- Consider other points of view, make constructive suggestions and help the Board make decisions that benefit those the organization serves.
- Represent organizations to individuals, the public and to other organizations.
- Support the organization through a meaningful personal financial gift.
- Assume Board leadership roles when asked.
- Keep the administrator informed about any concerns the community has.
LAKES AREA HABITAT FOR HUMANITY PRESIDENT OF THE BOARD JOB DESCRIPTION
PURPOSE: To supervise the members of the Board as the principal elected officer of the Board.
DUTIES OF THE PRESIDENT:
- Preside over the meetings of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee.
- Serve as ex-officio member of all committees.
- Work with the administrator to see that all orders and resolutions of the Board are carried out.
- Coordinate the work of the Board, officers and committees of the Board.
- Call special meetings as the need arises.
- Appoint all committee officers.
- Establish communication between Board members and the administrator.
- Facilitate the Board's decision making process.
- Develop a positive working relationship with the administrator.
- Act as official spokesperson for the Board.
- Work with the administrator on new Board member orientation.
- Oversee the search for a new administrator when the need arises.
- Coordinate and participate in the administrator's annual performance evaluation.
- Work with the nominating committee to recruit new Board members.
- Foster a sense of team spirit on the Board.
- Perform all other functions required by the office of President.
LAKES AREA HABITAT FOR HUMANITY VICE PRESIDENT OF THE BOARD JOB DESCRIPTION
PURPOSE: To maintain leadership continuity by performing the duties of Board President in his or her absence.
DUTIES OF THE VICE PRESIDENT:
- Attend all Board and Executive Committee meetings.
- Know the organization and the Board President’s responsibilities.
- Be prepared to perform the Board President’s duties when called to do so.
- Chair at least one committee.
- Carry out special assignments as requested by the Board President.
LAKES AREA HABITAT FOR HUMANITY SECRETARY OF THE BOARD JOB DESCRIPTION
PURPOSE: To maintain all Board records and ensure their accuracy.
DUTIES OF THE SECRETARY OF THE BOARD:
- Attend all Board meetings.
- Record actions/statements at Board meetings and generate minutes.
- Make sure that Board members are notified of the times and dates of all meetings.
- Review records of the Board and ensure their safety.
- Review Board meeting minutes for accuracy.
- Keep a register of Board members’ addresses and phone numbers.
- When necessary, obtain information from records and minutes to help Board members in the decision making process.
LAKES AREA HABITAT FOR HUMANITY TREASURER OF THE BOARD JOB DESCRIPTION
PURPOSE: To help ensure the fiscal integrity of the organization by providing oversight of its financial activities and ensuring the accuracy of all financial records.
DUTIES OF THE TREASURER:
- Attend all Board meetings and Executive Committee meetings.
- Work with staff to submit a full and accurate financial statement to the Board.
- Review the organizations annual audit and answer any questions other Board members may have about it.
- Ensure that the Board's financial policies are being followed.
- Give regular reports to the Board as to the financial health of the organization.
- Assist in preparing the annual budget.
- Chair the Finance Committee.