How To Apply
Application meetings are typically held when a build is scheduled in one of our service areas of Cass, Crow Wing, Hubbard, and Wadena counties and the City of Staples. Applications are available at the meetings and are not available at the LAHFH office.
Habitat for Humanity helps people become homeowners! Here’s how it works…
* The program accepts applications from people living in substandard housing that meet the income guidelines. We use a general guideline that is 30-50% of the median income. For example, a family of 4 should have an income between $23,150 and $38,550.
* The application is reviewed by the Family Selection Committee.
* If the guidelines are met, a home visit is set up.
* If accepted, the new “Habitat Partner Family” puts in 300 hours of labor (sweat equity) to help build a home with volunteers.
* The Family purchases the home at cost through an affordable mortgage.
Information that must be included with the application includes:
- Income verification
- Tax returns
- A statement on the family’s need for housing
- A credit report
The selection of families will be done in a way that does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, age, handicap, religion, marital status or because all or part of the applicant’s income is derived from public assistance.